10.01.2011

Kim Boyce's Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies


Well, I finally made them. Molly said she was sold. Lecia said she'd never make any other kind again. Jess says these cookies can do no wrong and wondered if there was anyone out there who hasn't made these yet.  Yes, Jess. Me. So I tried the recipe and actually baked some chocolate chip cookies made entirely with whole wheat flour! I've made lots of cookies and bars with half whole wheat flour but never all whole wheat flour. No, I'm not on a health kick particularly, but these girls were so taken with Kim Boyce's recipe that I had to taste. Besides, that book of hers is fabulous.


It was rather a dry dough which made me worry a bit; and then I wondered if it was because I only made half a recipe. Maybe I screwed up. But I went ahead anyway. When they were done I was in for a surprise. They're crunchy outside and tender inside but the texture is not quite like most cc cookies. Not dry though, which was what I worried about. They hold together nicely and the bittersweet chocolate is a good match for the earthy whole wheat flour. That little sprinkling of sea salt on top doesn't hurt either. 


When I look back at my photos, I'm still surprised. The dough looks so dry, doesn't it? But the cookies aren't. 
They're also not as rich and sweet as my favorite cc cookie recipe, but I agree with Jess when she refers to this recipe as an OCP. Translation? One Cookie Phenomenon. (I LOVE that expression!) You don't sit down with a plate of these and a glass of milk and pig out until you're ill. One is fine. Better than fine, delicious. But no craving for an entire plateful. How odd is that?
And I thought they were even better the next day.


Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

From Good to the Grain by Kim Boyce



Ingredients:
Dry mix
 3 cups whole-wheat flour  
 1½ tsp. baking powder  
 1 tsp. baking soda  
 1½ tsp. kosher salt  

Wet mix

8 oz. (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces  

 1 cup dark brown sugar  
 1 cup sugar  
 2 eggs  
 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract  
 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped into ¼- and ½-inch pieces  


Method:

Place two racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. 


Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.


Add the butter and the sugars to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With the mixer on low speed, mix just until the butter and sugars are blended, about 2 minutes. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until each is combined. Mix in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the bowl and blend on low speed until the flour is barely combined, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.


Add the chocolate all at once to the batter. Mix on low speed until the chocolate is evenly combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, then scrape the batter out onto a work surface, and use your hands to fully incorporate all the ingredients.


Scoop mounds of dough about 3 tablespoons in size onto the baking sheet, leaving 3 inches between them, or about 6 to a sheet. ( I didn't want my cookies that big so I used a 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop...generously filled.)


Bake the cookies for 16 to 20 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through, until the cookies are evenly dark brown. Transfer the cookies, still on the parchment, to the counter to cool, and repeat with the remaining dough.

These cookies are best eaten warm from the oven or later that same day. They’ll keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Kim's notes:

This dough is made to go straight from the bowl into the oven. However, for freshly baked cookies anytime, you can refrigerate some of the dough for later. Be sure to scoop out the balls of dough before chilling, as the cold dough is too difficult to scoop. Also remember that cookies baked from chilled dough will be thicker than those made from room-temperature dough. This dough — scooped, chilled, and wrapped in plastic — will last in the refrigerator for one week, assuming it doesn’t get eaten first!






32 comments:

  1. Barbara I think your cookies look delicious I want one for my coffe, have a nice Sunday dear! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies look very tempting! Impossible to resist such a treat.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara,

    Chocolate chip cookies are one of my favourites and often made them especially when the kids were small.
    The fact that these are healthy with the whole wheat flour is great.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe and will try making these.

    Hope you are having a lovely weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate chip cookies with less guilt. I am so all over this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great that they're made with whole wheat. I wish I had a couple to munch on with a glass of milk right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a big fan of whole wheat, but these look like they could change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love chocolate chip cookies, and if they're made with whole wheat flour, they're practically healthy, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love recipes that have been tested by many, and I am sold on this one! I love love love a good chocolate cookie, especially one that has won the loyalty of friends. Will be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just polished off an entire bag of wholewheat chocolate chip cookies from a bakery in NYC, would love to able to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. there is always room in my stomach for a cookie !!pierre

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with the first comment, I'd love to have a couple of these with my coffee. Good to know that the bittersweet chocolate works good with the flour. Thanks for the recipe Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of a whole wheat cookie! I try to sneak in that whole wheat wherever I can. They look heartier than regular ones - can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Curious. I'm in love with salted caramels in dark chocolate, so this is rather appealing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. cant beat a good cookie i am yet to master them will bookmark this one hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh they do look good. I am yearning after one. I will have to try these. Yet another bookmarked recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So I have to know then, what is your favorite cookie recipe?
    Here in England, cookies are not a huge deal, but I just recently found the most amazing chocolate chip cookie at pret a manger and I am kind of hooked.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the fact that you'd eat one and be happy. That alone makes it an amazing recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad that you shared this recipe because this is the first time I've seen them. Love the idea of using all whole wheat and would love to give these a try. I'm tempted to see if I can eat only one;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Barbara,
    In the 'olden' days when I was raising the children, I only used wheat flour. The children would beg for store bought bread and crackers and cookies. My husband loved the whole wheat which I ground myself, but the children tired of it easily. I think I went a bit far on my health kick in those days and think I could have given in a bit. But do you know what is so funny? My children now want to buy grinders of their own so they can make all their own flour fresh too.
    I don't even have my grinder anymore (wore it out) but would love to try this recipe. I loved the whole wheat, but yes it could make some recipes very dry and crumbly. Sure is good for us though!
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  20. They do sound delightful. "Healthy" choc chip cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always wondered how that would work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I own this cookbook but I've cooked BARELY ANYTHING from it...which has to change! I love CCC's so these are totally next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So I guess I'll have to try these even though I'm morally against whole wheat flour in cookies (just kidding!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Barbara, these cookies look awesome, I have to try this recipe using whole wheat...looks delicious.
    I just had lunch, would love to get a hold of one ;-)
    Hope you have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look amazing! Can’t wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm all for a healthy chocolate chip cookie. Besides it would be nice to eat just one.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  27. I used to make a chocolate chip cookie recipe from Maida Heatter with whole-wheat flour that I liked better than the classic one because it did not taste so sweet; this is a great substitute as I have lost the other recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always put whole wheat in CC cookies, these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I don't think my family would go for any changes in our favorite chocolate chip recipe. Some things are sacred. I know whole wheat flour is good for us and should try to use more of it in our diet.

    ReplyDelete
  30. i don't think i've never eaten just one cookie, so this would make a delicious test. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just made these - had to use a little oil as I ran out of Smart Balance, and I used mint dark chocolate instead, but they were AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails