5.28.2012

Crespéou


This is a dish I had to make immediately once I saw the photo and read the recipe in Sophie Dahl's new book. Basically, Crespéou (pronounced cress-PAY-oo) is a Provençal omelet-cake. It can be an hors d'oeuvre or a main course, party food or solitary supper, hot main dish or cold snack. Fabulous for summer, because you can use anything you have on hand to make the layers and if you're thinking about making this for company, you're in luck because it's best made a day ahead. 

While researching 
crespéou, one of the recipes I discovered had 20 (!) thin omelets of varying colors and with contrasting ingredients, garnished with lavender sprigs, which must have made a tower of a cake. But the flavors described in this giant crespéou were right up my alley: anchovies, basil, olives, eggplant, zucchini, capers, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes and more.

I also found Yotam Ottolenghi's recipe
HERE; his recipe appeals on many levels and I'll make it the next time. He added tomato paste to his red layer, turmeric to his yellow layer and scallions, basil and green chili to his green layer. Those additions certainly would make the colors (as well as flavors) stand out a bit more in each layer, making the presentation much more intriguing. 

By far the easiest way to make Crespéou is just to cook up a stack of open-face omelets, piling them on a plate as they firm up and brown slightly, then cut into wedges to serve right away. But aficionados suggest not only stacking the omelets, but weighting them down overnight so that they compress even more. Which is what I did. The contrasting flavors are more pronounced when prepared this way.


What makes crespéou appealing is that it's so free-form. You can flavor the different layers with just about anything and you can build it as high as you like. Sophie Dahl and Ottolenghi both used three layers, so I did the same. No need to get carried away with 20 or even 8 layers. You don't need a sauce or garnish either, but you can serve it with a green salad or add a tomato coulis. I sprinkled it with herbs, but some niçoise olives, tomato slices with basil alongside would be nice and would add a Provençal touch.


Crespéou

From Very Fond of Food by Sophie Dahl



Ingredients:

For the yellow omelet:
5 eggs
1 tablespoon half and half cream
salt and pepper
olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and chopped fine (I had a large shallot, so used that)
1 pinch of saffron

For the green omelet
:
5 eggs
1 tablespoon half and half cream
salt and pepper
olive oil
a handful of baby spinach
3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

For the red omelet
:
5 eggs
1 tablespoon half and half cream
salt and pepper
olive oil
8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
any garnishes you wish

Method:

For the yellow omelet: whisk the eggs with the cream and season with salt and pepper. Add some olive oil to a non-stick pan and add the onion, then the saffron. Stir and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the eggs and cook until set. Place the omelet on a plate
For the green omelet: whisk the eggs with the cream and season with salt and pepper. Add some olive oil to the non-stick pan and add the spinach, tarragon and parsley. Stir a bit, then add the eggs and cook until set. Place on top of the yellow omelet.
For the red omelet: whisk the eggs with the cream and season with salt and pepper. Add some olive oil to a non-stick pan and add the tomatoes. Saute for a minute or so, then add the eggs and goat cheese. Cook until set. Place on top of the green omelet.

Wrap the stacked omelets in wax paper, cover with tin foil, pressing them down. Refrigerate overnight. Garnish however you choose, cut as you would a cake and serve. 



30 comments:

  1. Oh my heavens Barbara! I have never laid my eyes on one of these incredibly fascinating omelets. My mind is spinning with possibilities!

    Thank you so much for sharing...not only have I pinned it, I've bookmarked it too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara! Not only do they taste amazing, but they are so pretty!!!

    I hope that all is good with you and that you are enjoying your spring. It just seems to be whizzing by way to fast for me.
    Have a wonderful week Barbara!
    hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious! Surely mighty scrumptious. Perfect with a salad.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one perfect brunch treat - such stunning summery colours :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely meal! I've never heard of crespeou before, but now I'd love to try it. It looks so impressive and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So colourful and appetizing. What an unique omelet recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one distinctive dish. What fun this must be, to make, with all the different possibilities. This is one to save and of course, to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it beautiful?

    I have a DVD here J Di Stasio..and she visits a lady in Provence who made this..seeing yours up close..so pretty..makes one want to try.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My father was the best omelet maker... he would have had a ball with this!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This looks amazing,Barbara!Love the colors and flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. look absolutely woderful dear Barbara!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks sensational! great recipe -
    I do enjoy Sophie Dahl!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks fabulous, Barbara! Not only delicious but such a beautiful presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never seen anything like that! How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful post! It reminds me of the omelette created by one of my favorite chefs, the French/Armenian Sonia Uzveguian in which she puts different toppings as well in her thin crêpe-like omelettes.

    Like your photo, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this. Less intimidating than crepes or a fritatta, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks awesome! No doubt that it tastes awesome too.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That is truly beautiful, Barbara. Fabulous flavors, photos, everything. So worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous dish! I'm drooling, from first picture to last. Thank you for sharing with me! I'm glad I stumbled on your blog tonight. I hope you have a great end to your week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks wonderful! I've made a sweet version of this (I adore crepes) and it is one of my favourite recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. PROVENÇAL CUISINE is my absolutely favorite my dear!! A combination of French and Italian and every other ANCIENT culture is mixed up in this intriguing cuisine and it is so tasty!!!

    Dear heart, thank you for visiting me in ROME!

    Have a delicious day! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  22. Barbara, that is out of this world! What a beautiful summer dish and I love that it can be made ahead of time. This is going right to the top of my recipe stack.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your photo Barbara! It is always nice to see the person behind the blog! I have never heard of this savory cake before but I am sure I would love it because it contains some of my favorite ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks like such a fun dish to create! The colors of the vegetables look great, and I love the idea of the Ottolenghi version with each omelet being a different color. Sounds delicious with tomatoes and basil for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  25. barbara I love this!
    i'm sorry one can never have enough fresh omelets!

    ReplyDelete
  26. what an impressive creation! i haven't seen this before, and i surely would've butchered the pronunciation had you not educated me on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cela nous fait un mille-feuilles d'omelette. J'aime beaucoup. Ça multiplie les saveurs par 3.
    A bientôt.
    See soon

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm always looking for brunch dishes that I can prepare the day before and this is just brilliant! I love that you made different layers with different colors and flavors, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This reminds me of an omelet lasagna...which has to be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love omelets! And this certainly look absolutely delicious and pretty, too. I'm bookmarking the recipe and will try it soon. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails