9.05.2013

Ina Fridays: A Simple Avocado and Grapefruit Salad


Welcome to Ina First Fridays....September is salad or soup. Still a bit hot in S. Florida for soups, so I went with this old family favorite.
And I have to add....sorry Ina, but my mother was making this salad while you were still in school!  :)  I ate it as a child and I bet all of you did too.


So I'm combining recipes. Basically, it's my mothers, but (just to make this legal) I used Ina's vinaigrette. It's a beautiful bright salad, love it with red grapefruit, a perfect first course, looks wonderful on a buffet table and is a super lunch.


Avocado and Grapefruit Salad

2007, Ina Garten, Show: Barefoot Contessa Episode: Blueprint Lunch 


Ingredients:
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup good olive oil
4 ripe Hass avocados
2 large red grapefruits


Method:
Place the mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified.

Before serving, cut the avocados in 1/2, remove the seeds, and carefully peel off the skin. Cut each half into 4 thick slices. Toss the avocado slices in the vinaigrette to prevent them from turning brown. Use a large, sharp knife to slice the peel off the grapefruits (be sure to remove all the white pith), then cut between the membranes to release the grapefruit segments.

Arrange the avocado slices around the edge of a large platter. Arrange the grapefruit segments in the center. Spoon the vinaigrette on top, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve.

                                                                            *******************************************


Ina Fridays participants:

Nancy from mypicadillo.com  
Veronica from mycatholickitchen.com
Ansh from spiceroots.com  

21 comments:

  1. I love avocados and this salad look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I remember this salad from days of "yore," I have never actually indulged, Barbara. I think it's about time I changed that. It looks sooooo gooooood and I love that touch of mustard!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fresh and interesting combination! That salad must taste wonderful.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple yet stunning! I love salads like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The color combination looks gorgeous. What a lovely, healthy salad.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much as I love both featured items, I've never had this. I might have to correct that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara, I really like this combination of grapefruit and avocado both grown abundantly in south Florida. Love it. This is a keeper. Thanks for sharing.


    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  9. I eat a grapefruit every day, and this looks like a terrific way to work it in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love almost anything with avocado in it so I am sure I would love this! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It totally makes me think of So. Florida! Lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect combination of fat and acid. It sounds tasty. I especially like the pepper on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pictures. Ina Fridays are fun and filled with such good ideas.

    Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda @ Tumbleweed Contessa

    ReplyDelete
  14. It IS a gorgeous salad. I have to admit that I didn't eat it until I was out of college--but I fell in love with it then! Happy Ina Friday:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow this is a delicious looking salad. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A salad fit for royalty my friend :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  17. how very refreshing! i love the presentation too--symmetry is my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. this has long been a favorite in our household. avocados and grapefruit are marvelous complements, and a visual feast in pastels.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too love this salad. I discovered it through Ina and was surprised to learn that it has a past! I grew up in Connecticut and didn't discover avocados until late in life!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made your tasty colourful salad just now & loved it so much,!!!MMMMMMMM! 😀

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails