9.20.2015

Giada's Cheesy Baked Farro


Finally...I got around to making this dish when my daughter was home last month. I saw it ages ago on one of Giada's Food Network Shows and saved the recipe. I really like farro and had some left in the package after my farro porridge post, so it was the perfect opportunity to try this unusual side dish.
It sure looked like a lot of cheese to me....and when I took it out of the oven I still thought it was going to be way too cheesy....but when we cut it, it held together perfectly and when we took a mouthful, it was chewy and cheesy...a fabulous combination. We loved it.


Cheesy Baked Farro
From Giada De Laurentiis



Ingredients:
Vegetable cooking spray

For the sauce:
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups warm whole milk
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the farro:
2 1/2 cups grated Parmesan
1 cup grated Gruyere
1/2 cup fontina cheese, grated
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups farro, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup plain dried bread crumbs
Olive oil, for drizzling

Method:
For the farro: In a large stock pot, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the farro, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the faro is tender, about 25 minutes. Drain, if necessary. 

In a large bowl, add the cheeses and stir to combine. Remove 1/2 cup of the mixture and reserve.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. 

For the sauce: In a 2-quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Gradually add the warm milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick and smooth, about 8 minutes (do not allow the mixture to boil). Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper, to taste. 

Add the farro, thyme, and sauce to the bowl with the cheese. Stir until combined and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the reserved 1/2 cup of cheese. Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs and drizzle with olive oil.


Bake until the top is golden brown and forms a crust, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.


 

17 comments:

  1. Its the Italian version of the mac n' cheese! I have a bag of farro too. I think the cheese is the right amount and it uses really flavorful cheeses-delicious!!!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally love this Italian version of mac and cheese! Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That baked farrow must taste amazing! I love the idea.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fabulous and it uses my two favorite cheeses. I must look into farro.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kind of a béchamel..
    I bought my first Farro in Castelluccio..
    It really is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen her make this and I've always wondered how it really turned out/tasted. Now I know! Thanks, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. on which of her 24 shows did you see it? ;)
    that does seem like a lot of cheese, but it's tasty cheese, so i wouldn't care if it did fall apart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so cheesy and delicious! You cannot possibly o wrong with all this cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Barbara,

    This looks like a tasty dish and I look forward to trying it - thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Hope you are having a lovely week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking at the amount of farro, chicken broth and the size pan it is baked in, it probably is the perfect amount of cheese. I really enjoyed farro risotto when I made it and should have some farro left in my pantry too! It sounds like a perfect comfort side dish for fall, Barbara, and I'd love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh that looks good. I watch Giada every day on the treadmill, I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aaaahhhh cheesy deliciousness! And I love the taste and texture of farro too, this dish is perfect for Fall - thanks for sharing, Barbara xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could I get the Knight to try it? He's never had farro...and doesn't like to try new things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, that IS a lot of cheese. But I can imagine the contrast of textures and bolstered tastes make it worth while.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you to make me discover "farro". Your recipe looks so delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, they sounds amazing and pretty easy! Thanks for sharing!

    Marlene
    Visit my site for Rockaway Beach Oregon Hotels

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, they sounds amazing and pretty easy! Thanks for sharing!

    Marlene
    Yoga Training Thailand

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails