12.10.2015

Eggnog Cheesecake Tart



Here are the famous Elizabeth's Eggnog Cheesecake Bars from Martha Stewart Living magazine. (But I made them in tart form.) Been wanting to make these for ages as I am an eggnog fan. Unfortunately, I never make eggnog anymore and even when I made the effort, I was always the only one drinking it. Looks pretty, but no takers in my family.
Then I tried a friend's recipe for Harvard Milk Punch. Well. A close second to eggnog, much simpler to make and after the first time, I made it every year as there were three of us who imbibed. (If you're the hostess and serve milk punch, watch yourself or you'll never get dinner on the table! It may look innocuous, but oh no! Voice of experience speaking here.) I posted that delectable milk punch recipe HERE.


Back to eggnog. I'm hoping the family will like this tart/bar more than they do regular eggnog. I gave it a test run and decided to make it a dressier dessert by baking it in my 9 inch springform pan rather than a square pan. I think a wedge of this looks prettier plated for Christmas dinner than a bar. It will all depend on how you're going to serve it. If you use a springform pan, keep in mind it bakes in a bain marie...you'll need to seal the entire outside of the pan with foil. Please note the recipe below is the original, made in a square pan.

I thought this lovely Christmas dessert was delicious; keeping my fingers crossed for the family reviews.

Elizabeth's Eggnog Cheesecake Bars
From Martha Stewart Living, December 2009



Ingredients:
Vegetable oil cooking spray, for pan
12 graham crackers, finely ground (1 1/2 cups)
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
1 pound cream cheese, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
3/4 cup eggnog
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon brandy
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for dusting

1/4 teaspoon salt

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. I used a 9" springform pan, sprayed it and then lined the outside with foil. 
Stir together graham crackers, 3 tablespoons sugar, and the melted butter. Press into bottom of pan. Bake until crust is just brown around the edges, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
Meanwhile, beat cream cheese with a mixer on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, the eggs, yolk, eggnog, flour, brandy, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt; beat until smooth. Pour filling over crust. Set pan in a roasting pan, and add enough hot water to come halfway up sides of baking pan. Bake until just set, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove baking pan from water bath, and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool slightly, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight. (And yes, it needs the overnight.)
Cut into 1 1/2-by-3-inch bars. Lightly dust tops of bars with freshly grated nutmeg just before serving.


Bars can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.

13 comments:

  1. I bet it tastes divine!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and one of my daughters love eggnog! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara, I have not had eggnog in years, not sure why, this sure looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby loves eggnog and would love this! And I love Martha Stewart's recipes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks heavenly! I am too a fan of Martha Stewart's recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara luce muy bueno un gran acierto,gracias por su comentario,abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's my review Barbara, Fantabulous!!! I've sworn off eggnog these days, however, I did "indulge" on Thanksgiving and I have every intention of enjoying a bite of eggnog something for Christmas. (Won't be indulging in any drinking of it though. Marion doesn't enjoy it and I'm not sure I could resist, lol)

    I love the notion of serving this in wedge form. It give it a touch of that ooo la la factor!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Barbara...I'll be pinning:)

    Hope all is well in your little corner of the world. I'm not back to blogging regularly yet but I do an update every now and again. Just incase I don't "see" you before Christmas, A Very Merry Christmas to You and Yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember way back when there was always eggnog or a Tom & Jerry to be had at a holiday party. Today, not so much. I do love it too. What a great rendition of the cocktail in tart form, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tart sounds good and I'm not even a big fan of eggnog. I think I'll give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. delicious! i usually have to pour a portion of eggnog into another container and hide it when i want to bake with it--my fiance loves it so much it disappears more quickly than you can imagine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my family, I'm the only one who likes egg nog...so I quit making it year ago. I wonder if they'd notice it in the cheesecake bars? :) I had to laugh at the milk punch warning. I imagine it's as sneaky as spiked egg nog---and I've been there too, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The texture looks outrageously luxurious. Perfect for being naughty around the holiday.

    Speaking of holidays,I hope you have a great one, I know it will be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delicious cheesecake and so perfect for Christmas holidays! The perfect ending to any fine meal!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails